The past week I spent a couple nights down in my workshop working on my next stained glass project. I designed a candle holder in Autocad and decided that I would make the panels during the week so I could bring them to the class this week and get help and tips on how to make a three dimensional project. I didn't want to just make any old candle holder, I wanted to use my imagination and make a unique one. Well, my design proved to be a little tricky for a beginner so its not quite as high quality that I was hoping for. Instead of keeping it simple, with maybe just four sides, I went with the six sided hex. I cut all the pieces, foiled and soldered them before packing them up to bring to class. Once there I got a piece of mirror for the bottom and prepped it for soldering. This is when the fun started. I think I managed to use about a 1/2 pound of solder before getting the hang of it and all the tricks needed to pull this off successfully. In the end it looks very good, just don't get too close and examine the solder, it's a little messy. I brought it home and added a candle and wallah! works like a charm.

No comments:
Post a Comment