Friday, November 7, 2008

Fall Adventure Ride

He’s back! Joerg, my crazy all-season adventurer partner, just returned from a trip to Russia and was in dire need for an adventure ride…and who can relate to the great need to ride…me of course. The weather here in Grand Rapids has been unbelievable with highs in the 70’s all week long, but do to the daylight savings our days have been ending around 5:50 P.M.. That was not going to stop us, Joerg left work a little early and was at my place right at 4:30, here is a shot of him speeding into the parking lot.

We greeted each other, but that’s were the conversation ended. I cut his questions short and told him we can catch up later…let’s ride! South was the choice for this adventure and a lunch break perusing of mapquest turned up some interesting looking roads that had names that ended in “Trl”. After dodging some slow vehicles we made it onto so typical dirt roads that would bring us to this new area. Along the way we saw more of those darn deer just hanging out all over the place. Oh, here we go this dirtroad here should lead to my newly discovered trails. I spy the entrance, and the sign says trail open! Yippe!!! Of we go traveling up, down, and all around thru the woods. It was a little tricky navigating because it was getting dark and the ground was covered with leaves. After about two miles I had gotten my off-road legs back and we where cruising right along. We stopped atop this one hill and took some pictures and then carried on.

I got caught up in the moment and was just having a grand ole’ time when I came to the top of a hill, stopped and looked behind me and…. “Oh shit…where did that Joerg go!” I sat and waited… a minute or so past, so I shut my bike off thinking I would here him coming… nothing… then I see a headlight making its way toward me… but then it disappears… then its on… what is he doing.

Well it took a few minutes but then he rolled up next to me. I said everything allright… He laughs, and says “Yeah!, everything but my mirror” and taps it and it flies off into the dirt. He immediately tells me for the 100th time, “I hate F$#^ing Sand!!!” We laugh and pack his mirror up and decide we should try and get to pavement soon since it is pitch dark by now. Eventually we end up on pavement heading back toward Joergs abode but decide the traffic on the main road sucks so we head back to the dirt roads and just putt along at 40 with our highbeams on taking in mother nature. It was a perfect night!

Once back to Joerg’s place we sat in the driveway consuming frosty beverages talking about past trips and future trips… and this great weather!

Look what I found!!!

No comments: